Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Great Comforter



The Great Comforter

As believers in Jesus, we must believe He is our King and savior. Because we do we must also belief in His words of hope given to the apostles. John 16: 7-14.
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall Great Comforter to lead us there, not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Our hope is in Jesus coming again to set all things created as they were supposed to be. Until that time happens, of which nobody knows, we are left with God’s Holy Spirit. What does this mean?
Is the Holy Spirit known to all believers as an individual? Do we accept nurturing, growth and conviction from the Holy Spirit to become the doers of the Father’s will? This is the influence Jesus warned us of as being the unpardonable sin. If we reject His intentions for us, we flatly tell God, “No, thanks.” As God is love, how can He not offer us free will?  Are we to be robots systematically loving God because we have no free will?
From my own personal testimony, I can tell you that God’s Holy Spirit is very real, and He wants us to accept the truth Jesus Lived by and for as our propitiation and has given us the Great Comforter to guide and lead us home. Our home isn’t of this world, here we are pilgrims journeying towards a coming place reigned over by Jesus.
What should we expect from the Holy Spirit? Paul gives us understanding in 1 Corinthians 12:4-11.
Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another diverse kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
My experience is that while we press into the relationship with Christ the more open we become to be vessels of these gifts.  These gifts are not directed by the believer, but by The Holy Spirit as He does the Father’s will. Anytime I have been used as a vessel it has always been to give God the Glory and nothing else except for being known as a servant of God.
It is important to realize that God’s Spirit shouldn’t be a mystery.
We are introduced to Him in the very first book of the bible all be it the second verse.
Genesis 1:2
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. God’s Holy Spirit was never a mystery through the Old Testament. Patriarchs, judges, prophets and kings were offered the Holy Spirit of God. Patriarchs, judges, prophets, prophetesses and Kings were all given the Holy Spirit of God. Even pagan Kings and peoples were afforded God’s Spirit for His will to be done. The work of the Spirit in the Old Testament wasn’t the same as it is in the New Testament. Our wealth as New Testament Christians is that we have no prohibition to the throne of God for supplication or prayer. Jesus changed all of that on the cross dying as payment for our sins.
Mark 15:38
And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.
This meant access to what was known as the holy of holies was wide open, no more need for priests to approach God. Jesus became our high priest. When He resurrected and then sent God’s Holy Spirit as a Great Comforter, living for God righteously became possible.
If our focus was on developing a relationship with Jesus and we took His words seriously, why would we not want to get to know the Holy Spirit? Jesus sent Him, isn’t that what the scripture says?
I would have to say that knowing the Holy Spirit is like possessing a key to wisdom the world doesn’t know. The peace Christ spoke of is a treasure I’d not relinquish for any cost. I hear of believers going to therapists and wonder why they don’t talk it over with Christ. Do they not hear the Holy Spirit? Do they want some other truth than to repent from sin and keep God’s commandments?
I can see how the non-believer might need therapists, they don’t know the Great Comforter!
Haven’t we read in scripture about the Apostle Paul’s great miracles? Acts 19:11-12
And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them.
Isn’t anyone excited about this? Doesn’t anyone desire to be like Paul?
Maybe not, Paul was treated badly by many unwilling to hear his preaching. Even as Jesus said to Ananias, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake. Acts 9: 15:16.
Paul did suffer greatly. But let me say this, in my rebellion towards God my actions and choices brought me suffering. At that time, I had no hope in Jesus or God’s promise of eternal salvation for believing on the name of Jesus.
In Jesus’ ministry service of miracles was done by Jesus, his apostles and disciples following Him. Paul never followed Jesus, nor likely met Him until after His resurrection. So, my question is simple. If we are on fire for the Lord would isn’t it possible that God would use us as He did the church founders?
I know I have been a vessel of the Holy Spirit Gifts whenever God has decided to use me. I pray and desire that God would find me worthier to do so more frequently. There is nothing in the world like seeing someone have the Ah-hah moment when connecting blessings to God.
Praying is another powerful tool to use in growing faith in knowing God’s Holy Spirit. Praying for God’s will to be done in all matters concerning our world is wise. But as we pursue God’s mercy the Holy Spirit leads us right back to the love of Jesus. John 14:14
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
I surely hope that knowing these scriptures is not just idle knowledge. I pray that knowing these scriptures are promises that you possess and depend on in your daily life. And that is the key. Depending on guidance from and by the Holy Spirit as he leads us back to Jesus’ mercy, grace and love.

1 comment: